Up until recently I had not made anything in a slow cooker (aka crock pot) in quite a while. A few weeks ago, Lauren sent me a pin from Pinterest for spicy slow cooked chicken. I made it and I did not care for it too much. The sauce had too strong of a ketchup taste; I am not one for tomatoes.
A few weeks passed, and last Sunday I decided to create a recipe for spicy slow cooked chicken. It is definitely a winner and will be made often.
We use a 5 oz slow cooker, if using anything larger you will need to adjust the amounts.
Spicy Slow Cooked Chicken
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, at least 2lbs
- 8 oz hot salsa
- 1 7oz can chipolte peppers in adobe sauce
- 2 tbs sriracha sauce
- 2 tbs chili garlic sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- pinch of salt
- In a blender or food processor, mix together salsa,chipolte peppers in adobe sauce, sriracha sauce and chili garlic sauce until it is well blended.
- In a slow cooker, make a thin layer of sauce on the bottom. Place the chicken in the crock pot and pour the remaining salsa mixture over top. Add minced garlic, cumin, and salt.
- Put the cover on the crock pot and cook chicken on low for 5 hours. Around 4 and 1/2 hours take chicken out and shred the chicken. I used 2 forks to pull it apart. Once it is pulled, put the chicken back in the crock pot for the remaining time.