So, I did it again. I agreed to do something that I didn’t fully think through. I decided to have a library GIngerbread Man Cookie “baking” and decorating program. After advertising I found out that I needed to prepare for a large crowd, and I knew a large crowd meant lots of cookies to bake in a short period. So… I pre-baked the cookies instead of doing it during the program. It was a two-day process, but it was worth it in the end. The recipe below is for one batch, I made five.
The program had about 32 children and each child was able
to decorate two cookies. They tasted delicious; the kids loved it and parents were very happy that their kitchens were saved. Each child was able to make a “cookbook” and glue in the recipe for these gingerbread men and decorate a gingerbread man “ornament”.
Now, time to start holiday baking for friends and family!
Easier Gingerbread Man Cookies
- 1 roll 16.5 oz refrigerated sugar cookies
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- In large bowl, crumble cookie dough; stir in molasses. Add remaining ingredients; mix thoroughly with hands.
- Divide dough in half; form into 2 disks, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours or until thoroughly chilled.
- Heat oven to 375°F. On floured surface, roll 1 dough disk 1/4 inch thick. Cut with floured 2 1/2- to 3-inch gingerbread boy/girl cookie cutters. On a cookie sheet lined with aluminium foil, place cutouts 2 inches apart. Repeat for remaining dough, rerolling scraps as necessary.
- Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until cookies are set and light golden brown around edges. Cool on cookie sheet 3 minutes; remove to cooling rack to cool completely, about 20 minutes.