I first fell in love with deep-fried Oreo’s on a Football Funday Sunday at The Stumble Inn bar in NYC; and when Duane and I bought a personal deep fryer, that was one of the first things I wanted Duane to fry. We have made lots of Deep Fried OREO’S since then (even tried it with a Reese’s in the middle YUM!) so when I was talking to Duane about our Library’s annual mini Comic Con he suggested making Deep Fried OREO’s… as in an open gesture kind, stated in jest, not at the least bit serious; but I took him literally and told him instantly which Saturday to take off.
When I brought the idea to some of my co-workers, a few just didn’t understand how a deep-fried oreo could be good (my thinking would have been how could that NOT be good?). Many of the library staff had never heard of a deep-fried OREO (unfortunate souls). I continued to tell them “just you wait” and smiled.
Well, on May 16th, we changed peoples lives irrevocably. Over a hundred deep-fried OREOs were fried and consumed that Saturday, I even heard kids (and adults) say they were the best things they had ever eaten.
Deep Fried OREOs
- 1 package of OREO’s; frozen
- Oil for deep fryer
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 1/2 cup of pancake mix
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbs granulated sugar
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Batter: Whisk together the egg, milk, sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl until smooth. Stir in the pancake mix and salt until no dry lumps remain.
- Heat the oil in the deep fryer to approximately 380 degrees.
- Dip the cookies into the batter one at a time.
- Carefully place the OREO’s into the hot oil.
- Depending on the size of your deep fryer will determine how many cookies you fry at a time. In our home fryer I only cooked 3 at a time.
- Cook until the cookies are golden-brown on first side, about one minute or so then flip and continue to fry until they are done.