This is the second time I have made this cupcake recipe in the past 2 weeks. The first time was with a cheesecake frosting, and this time I made an Oreo buttercream. Saturday was the TAB bake sale at the library, along with these cupcakes I made Reese’s Chocolate Chip Cookies and Double Dark Oreo Chocolate Chip Cookies.
This was the first time I tried making this frosting and I couldn’t believe how amazing it was! I felt like I was eating cake with cookies and cream ice cream. These cupcakes were delicious, and a huge hit at the bake sale! I absolutely love them, and highly recommend making them!
(Since this was a Halloween/Fall bake sale, I added festive sprinkles to the mixture…. if you were wondering what those white and orange dots were 😉 )
Other items that were at the bake sale were http://www.muffinsandmeat.com/2013/04/17/chocolate-chip-reeses-cookies/ and http://www.muffinsandmeat.com/2013/10/18/double-dark-oreo-chocolate-cookies/
Chocolate Cupcakes w/the Best Cookies and Cream Icicng
- 3/4 cup unsweetened Special Dark Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup fresh brewed coffee
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp. coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup light sour cream, at room temperature
- 6-7 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter; softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4-6 tsp (depending on desired consistency) heavy whipping cream
- 8-10 Oreo’s finely chopped up
- Preheat oven to 350 and line muffin pans.
- In a small bowl, mix cocoa powder and fresh brewed coffee until a thick paste forms. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, strain together flour, baking soda, baking powder, & salt. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add sugar and stir until well combined.
- Transfer the butter & sugar mixture to a large bowl.
- Beat on medium-high for 4-5 minutes or until mixture has cooled.
- Add eggs one at a time and mixing well in between.
- Add vanilla and cocoa mixture, beat until well incorporated.
- With the mixer on low, alternate adding flour mixture and sour cream in two batches. Mix until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cupcake tins.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- in a large mixing bowl. Add 4 cups of sugar, followed by 1 tsp of whipping cream and vanilla. On medium speed, beat until smooth and creamy, about 3-5 minutes. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, and whipping cream, 1 tsp at a time; beating well after each addition (about 2 minutes), until the incing is thick enough to be of spreading consistency. Fold in chopped Oreos.
- Fill piping bag or spread evenly over cupcakes or cake.
- If icing hardens, add more whipping cream, 1/2 tsp at a time until desired consistency.