I saw a picture for the “Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies” on Pinterest and thought they looked delicious. Duane loves cookies, and I haven’t made any in quite awhile; so on Friday night I made the Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie. The recipe originated from Southern Living, but I got the recipe off of myrecipes.com. What was great about this website, is that it gave instructions on how to use this recipe as the base for other cookies:
Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip Cookies: Decrease salt to 1/2 teaspoon. Add 1 cup creamy peanut butter with butter and sugars. Increase flour to 2 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons. Proceed as directed. (Dough will look a little moist.)
Coconut-Macadamia Chunk Cookies: Substitute 1 (12-ounce) package semisweet chocolate chunks for morsels. Add 1 cup white chocolate morsels, 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut, and 1/2 cup macadamia nuts with chocolate chunks. Proceed as directed.
Chunky Cherry-Double Chip Cookies: Microwave 1 tablespoon water and 1/2 cup dried cherries in a glass bowl at HIGH 30 seconds, stirring once. Let stand 10 minutes. Substitute 1 (12-ounce) package semisweet chocolate chunks for morsels. Add 1 cup white chocolate morsels, 1/3 cup slivered toasted almonds, and cherries with chocolate chunks. Proceed as directed.
I also like Southern Living: Best Loved Cookies: 50 Melt in Your Mouth Southern Morsels, I have found a lot of great cookie bar recipes in that book, including the Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars that I made back in the winter. The book is definitely worth checking out!
We like our cookies to be on the softer more “undone” side, but if you like your cookies crisp, bake for 14-15 minutes instead of 12 minutes.
Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 (6-oz) package semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1/4 (4-oz) package milk chocolate morsels
- 1/4 (4-oz) package REESE’S Peanut Butter morsels
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars at medium speed with a hand or standing mixer until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla, beating until blended.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, soda, and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating well. Stir in morsels. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Transfer cookies to wire rack. Cool completely.