Last week Duane, my mom and I went to New York for the holiday weekend. Oh my goodness we had so much fun, we didn’t want to come back (there will be a post in the near future all about our food fun)! I made these cupcakes to bring up to New York with me, and I am a little late on posting the recipe.
Ever since I made the Mini Hostess Cupcakes, I realized I really like making cupcakes, especially mini-cupcakes! (There’s more to give people) I’ve been looking for a really good vanilla cake recipe, and I found one that looked absolutely looked delicious . I changed a few things from the original recipe, one of the things being, I used 2% milk instead of cream. There are few other things I did differently and I already have more ideas. I love these dense and decadent cupcakes and I can’t wait to make them again!
Homemade Cookies N Cream cupcakes
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1⅓ cups 2% milk
- COOKIES ‘N CREAM FROSTING
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup ground low-fat Oreo cookies + extra cookies for decorating
- 3 tbsp 2% milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spoon in and level flour, salt, and baking powder. Whisk or strain and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together with a hand mixer.
- Mix eggs, adding one at a time, until blended.
- Add vanilla and beat on medium just until blended, then turn to low speed.
- Add flour mixture a little at a time until all of it is blended in. Mixture will be very thick.
- Add cold milk and set mixer to “stir” setting, or the very lowest setting possible.
- Once you have a homogenous mixture, use a large spoon to scoop batter into a prelined cupcake pan, filling each cup ⅔ full.
- Bake about 25 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove immediately and place onto a cooling rack to cool before frosting.
- Crush OREO’s finely.
- Cut butter into cubes and place in a medium sized bowl. Using the whisk attachment, whisk butter, vanilla, and 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup finely grounded up OREO cookies together on medium speed until smooth.
- Add remaining sugar and 2 tbsp 2%milk.
- Whisk on medium to high for a few minutes until frosting is smooth.
- Frost your cupcakes with a rubber spatula or a pastry bag. If using a pastry bag, do not pick a narrow tip.